Saturday, August 25, 2007

First Word?


A few weekends ago my human sister saw some ducks in a parking lot and walked over to get a closer look at them and tried to chase them. Then, last weekend, when the humans went to Liki Tiki, they saw a couple of ducks and were feeding them bread and talking to my human sister about the ducks and teaching her that ducks say, "Quack!"

This evening, the Alphas took my human sister to the zoo. They were looking at the emu and talking about how scary looking the emu was when my human sister said, "Duck." Alpha Female said, "No, it's an emu." However, Alpha Female didn't really think that my human sister had actually meant duck, she thought that my human sister had just happened to make a noise that sounded like duck when they were looking at the emu. Then the humans went to look at the cassowary. Again, my human sister said, "Duck!" Alpha Female then said, "No, it's a cassowary." (There is some discrepancy as to what happened next. Alpha Female indicates that my human sister replied, "cassowary." Alpha Male disagrees and stated that Alpha Female might be a little crazy.) Finally, the humans went to look at the ducks. My human sister said, "Duck!" This was enough to establish irrefutable proof in Alpha Female's mind that my human sister's first official word was duck. I think "dog" will soon follow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gauss,

That's amazing that Duck is Dana's first word!

Keegan mumbled Ah-Goo the other day. I told Jen Ah-Goo must mean I love you.

Anyway thanks for sharing - that's cool.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that Dana has tackled a more sophisticated first word than her mother. Although Kelly could enunciate "bug" in a variety of dialects. Most commonly (deep voice)"buuuuug."
Go Dana!
Aunt Kristy