Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Personal Penguin

Yesterday, as I was alternating between dozing and observing my family, it occurred to me that Thing 1 really, truly believes that Alpha Female serves no other function than to cater to Thing 1's every whim. Alpha Female had been doing something other than doting on Thing 1 (she was probably giving some attention to Thing 2 for a change). When Thing 1 was finally able to get Alpha Female's attention, the Thing grabbed her by the finger and dragged her into the kitchen. This happens all the time and I love it. Usually Thing 1 then demands that Alpha Female open the cupboard door so that Thing 1 can browse for food options. Often times, Thing 1 will toss me a box of raisins while she is selecting something for herself. I love raisins. However, this time was different. Thing 1 stopped in front of the refrigerator and requested that Alpha Female fill up her teacup with water from the refrigerator door. Alpha Female complied, like a good little servant, and she thought she would be free to go once the cup was filled. However, Thing 1 had other ideas. She actually tightened her grip on Alpha Female's finger to ensure that Alpha Female would not slip away. Thing 1 then leisurely drank her water and received several refills before taking Alpha Female to the cupboard to stand by while Thing 1 picked out a snack. Thing 1 then took Alpha Female to her toy kitchen. I fell back asleep then so I don't know what happened, but I bet Thing 1 made Alpha Female pretend to do the dishes and clean up Thing 1's kitchen while Thing 1 relaxed and ate her plastic ice cream cone. I wish I could have my own personal servant.

No comments: